Hey friends! Happy Friday!!
Today is the second instalment of my Fall/Winter refresh. If you missed my post from yesterday, check that out to see my first 5 tips.
- Complete all those little tasks you’ve been putting off: We all have that mental list of things we need to do… eventually. Hang that picture, get that dripping faucet fixed, have a new key cut, etc. These nagging little tasks often get pushed aside in favour of more pressing issues – rightfully so. However, setting aside half a day to knock all these little things off your list will not only make you feel great about your home, it’ll give you such a sense of accomplishment for FINALLY completing them.
- Clean or replace (and donate!) old throw blankets, pillows and rugs: Textiles can really cozy up your home. With constant use and wear, they can begin to feel a little dingy. Tossing throw pillow covers and blankets in the wash regularly will keep them feeling and smelling clean. As for your carpets, a good vacuum and an inexpensive cleaner (which can be found online or at Walmart/grocery stores) will make a world of difference.
- Deep clean your fridge and freezer: I happen to be pretty good about cleaning out the fridge and keeping things tidy. Even so, I’m always amazed at what a good purge and clean with hot soapy water can do for it. Bonus points for purchasing a new package of baking soda to keep things smelling fresh.
- Purchase new candles and candle holders: There’s nothing quite like candles to create a cozy ambiance in the fall and winter months. Walmart and Amazon are my go-to place to buy inexpensive candles (non-scented – I prefer to keep things natural with essential oils because allergies). Cute new candle holders can be found at Ikea, Structube or Home Sense for cheap. You can also check out second hand stores or garage sales. Pick up a few different styles of candle holder and spray paint them all the same colour for a fun DIY project.
- Clean your carpets and deep clean your hardwood or tile: Buy, rent or hire a carpet cleaner to clear out all the gunk and dirt that a vacuum cleaner just can’t reach. Clean dust out of hardwood corners and give them a good wash and finish up by cleaning tile grout with a toothbrush. Super clean floors make a beautiful canvas for a fresh home!
I hope you enjoyed my little mini-series. Have a great weekend!
Hellooooo you guys!
So.. I’m a shoe-a-holic. I try to keep it under control, but my goodness I can’t resist a cute (and preferably comfortable and affordable) shoe!!
I love to save when I buy trendy/seasonal shoes as styles change so quickly and its an easy way to make a more classic, basic wardrobe look trendy and current!
I was browsing the Target clothing section today and I was noticing that they have some of the BEST affordable summer sandals – I just had to share some of the amazing finds with you. A lot of these shoes are perfect dupes for styles from Steve Madden and Sam Edelman. They also happen to use manmade materials for anyone looking for vegan alternatives to these popular styles.
Ema High Block
Accent Heeled Ankle Strap Sandal
Sigma Bow Espadrille
Miriam Crossband Quilted Mules
DV Knotted Heeled Pumps
Holy cow that was a lot of shoes! I just couldn’t narrow it down! AAAANNND there’s still more up on the side that I LOVE. You have to go cheack it out!
I thought it might be fun – since we’ve been talking so much about basics over here – to show you how I love to mix and match those pieces with stand-out statement pieces to create endless amounts of fresh, new outfits. Once you have your basic wardrobe down, its SO SO easy to create loads of different outfits with just a few new statement additions. I think I’ll do this from time to time with pieces from different online stores and call it the “wardrobe refresh” series. Today, I went to boohoo.com and found a TON of cute pieces to play around with. For this post, I’ve narrowed it down to 3 different pieces for a total of CAD $112. Heres what I came up with…
First, this flirty summer bodysuit is just adorable. The halter neck and ruffles keep it super light and fun while the white colour makes it SO easy to wear! Pair this with black, blue or white jeans topped with a cute jean or army jacket, a jean skirt and sandals or a leather skirt and heels for a night time look.
Next up is this gorgeous embroidered mini skirt. This would pair perfectly with the bodysuit above and a cute pair of heels. It can also easily be dressed down and worn with a black, white or grey t-shirt and a jean jacket with some cute scrappy sandals. Another idea is to wear it with a black lace cami and top it with a leather jacket and black heels or booties for a going out look.
Finally, we have these cute little gingham sandals. I love these because 1) they have a low block heel which will make them comfortable and practical and 2) the gingham print will add a little pop of interest to an otherwise basic outfit. The wrap around tie detail will also add a fun, flirty vibe. I’d wear these with the bodysuit above and any pair of jeans or a jean skirt, I’d wear them with a little white dress and a jean jacket, or even with an all black look for nighttime.
Whenever I shop, I love to think of all the possible ways that I can wear an item before I commit to it. My rule of thumb is that I need to be able to wear it with 3 different outfits that I already have in my wardrobe in order to buy it. This ensures that I get the most bang for my buck (and a bunch of new outfits!).
Let me know what you think of my little series!
I’m back with some more of my thoughts on wardrobe basics for easy and versatile dressing! In this post, we’ll cover tanks and tees any why they’re pretty much all I wear day to day.
Basic tees and tanks are amazing wardrobe additions because they essentially expand your wardrobe into a ton of new outfits you didn’t previously have. For example, a pair of straight-leg cropped navy work pants that you typically wear with a button down or blazer can be paired with an effortless white tee and sneakers and finished off with a denim jacket for an adorable springtime look. Once you have your basics down, the possibilities are endless.
I like to ensure that I always have simple, comfy short sleeved t-shirts in at least black, white and grey. ASOS sells multipacks with each of these colours for around $30. One of these tees with a pair of jeans are the perfect base for tons or adorable outfits.
In addition to the tees, a solid collection of tanks and camisoles are extremely versatile for the warmer months. Camisoles can even be super useful during the fall and winter as they look great paired under a cardigan, sweater or leather jacket. Camisoles can get pretty pricey really fast and although there is a ton of really gorgeous high end options (ie. Cami NYC), my favourite place to go for camisoles is definitely H&M.
Tanks and camis are often sold as bodysuits, which can be an amazing choice for anyone who likes to wear their tops tucked in – like I do – as you don’t have to constantly be re-tucking and your look is always neat and sleek.
Camisole (on sale!!)
Now that we’ve covered basic jeans and tops, we already have the basis for a ton of different outfits!
I’m loving sharing my thoughts on building a wardrobe here and I’ll be back soon with lots more!!
Dress Shoes (similar)
I hope you’re having springtime weather as beautiful as ours here in Vancouver. In the sprit go beautiful weather, I had to go ahead and order these adorable lace up sandals. They also just so happen to be on sale right now (which makes them even more irresistible). They’d look adorable with just about anything, but I especially love the look of them paired with a simple white dress.
Today I just wanted to share a couple of Zara faves at the moment. Each of these items is under $50 – and they’re super versatile! My mind was running through all the ways I could wear each item. Check these out!
Grey Sweater Green Button Down Jeans Black Strappy Heels Silver Platforms
What do you think of my current Zara picks?